DETA Coaching: Creating 21st Century Classrooms builds on the process begun with DETA 1 and DETA 2. The goal of DETA Coaching is to develop a cadre of accomplished DETA teachers who coach and mentor peer teachers at their schools and throughout the district in enhancing standards-based instruction and professional practice with 21st century digital tools and strategies using technology.
Throughout the year long program, DETA Coaches develop a personalized learning plan of professional development activities that meets their needs. At monthly DETA Coaching sessions, participants will share strategies, ideas, and resources, and professional development activities with each other, and work on enhancing communication and collaboration skills for mentoring and supporting peers at their schools through a project-based approach.
DETA Coaching is for highly motivated, teacher-leaders who seek to enhance their skills as professional practioners and coaches in creating 21st century classroom learning environments for students. DETA Coaches will:
- Develop,present and/or facilitate at least one staff development activity modeling a 21st century technology/integration strategy for teachers at their school, in their zone, and/or for the district DETA Learning Community.
- Participate in the a learning community with other DETA Coaches through face-to-face sessions and using online collaboration tools.
- Develop a personal professional development plan of self-directed learning experiences for 2007-08 school year that meet their needs.
- Document their professional development and their coaching and mentoring experiences via a digital reflective log.
- Submit a Best Practice, Lesson Plan, or Unit Plan via the juried process for inclusion in the BEEP Teacher Portal for consideration as VTRP winning Best Practice for 2007-08 school year.
Participants must have completed one or both DETA courses (DETA 1, DETA 2), and must plan to take DETA Two this school year if they have not taken it already.
DETA Coaching is an ideal program for teachers seeking National Board Certification or for teachers who have already earned their National Board Certification, to help them maintain NBCT requirements through coaching and mentoring activities. Participants will earn 40 Inservice Points and are eligible for participation in district pilots and other incentives.