THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
The substitute teacher pool is currently open. You MUST complete the substitute teacher on-line application and attend a scheduled Substitute Clearance Orientation to be processed as a substitute teacher. The substitute on-line application must be completed even if you have already completed an on-line instructional application to apply for full-time teaching positions. Eligible candidates will be sent an email scheduling them to attend a clearance orientation.
A substitute teacher should possess a positive attitude, be an excellent communicator, and have superior classroom management and organizational skills.
Click on the link below to complete and submit the substitute teacher application. Prior to submitting your application, you will be required to attach the documents listed below. You will need to have the documents scanned and available for upload in order to attach them to your on-line application.
- Transcripts from an accredited college showing at least 60 semester hours of completed course work.
- Two (2) letters of references. References must be signed and dated. One reference must be from the candidate’s last employer or cooperating teacher (for education graduates). Each reference should be scanned separately and individually uploaded.
Your submitted application with required documents will be evaluated to determine eligibility. An email will be sent to each applicant with the status of their application. Eligible applicants will be scheduled to attend a substitute teacher orientation. Eligible applicants will receive an email with the date, time, and location for their scheduled orientation.
THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS ARE REQUIRED WHEN YOU ATTEND THE SCHEDULED ORIENTATION:
- Copy of Substitute Teacher Training Certificate of Completion, if applicable. If you are an education major or have experience as a teacher or substitute teacher, the substitute training is not required; however, you must provide proof (e.g. transcript indicating education major, teacher evaluation). If proof cannot be provided, the training may be completed at one of the following institutes:
- Traditional training is available at Broward College http://www.broward.edu/academics/ce/Pages/Teacher-Education.aspx
- Online training is available at Ed Training – Introduction to Teaching for Substitute Teacher http://www.edtrainingcenter.com
- Substitute Teacher Certificate: $20.00 Fee (Money Order Only) –Payment is required if candidate does not have a valid Florida Teaching Certificate or Broward County Substitute Teacher Certificate. Candidates that have a valid Florida Teaching or substitute teacher certificate must provide a copy. The Training Certificate of Completion is NOT the Substitute Teacher Certificate. If you do not have a valid educator or Broward substitute certificate, you must purchase a certificate.
- Original and copy of valid Driver’s License
- Original and copy of Social Security Card
- INS Documents (if applicable)
- Voided Check. You will be required to sign up for direct deposit.
Per Florida Statute 119.071(5), this is to notify you of the purpose for collecting and utilizing your Social Security Number. Providing your Social Security Number is a condition of employment at Broward County Public Schools. To protect your identification, Broward County Public Schools will secure your Social Security Number from unauthorized access, and strictly prohibit the release of your Social Security Number to unauthorized parties contrary to state and federal law.
Social Security numbers are collected for legitimate business purposes during the recruitment, selection and hiring process with Broward County Public Schools. Your Social Security Number will be used for completing and processing the following actions: Employment application for determining certification eligibility [1012.56 F.S.], Completion of federal I-9 form for the filing and issuance of federal employment forms [8 USC 1324a(b)], Completion of federal W-4 form for filing and issuance of federal employment forms [8 USC 1324a(b)], Florida Retirement Contribution Report [119.07(5)(a)6.b], and Conducting criminal background screening [1012.56 F.S.]. Your Social Security Number may be used as a unique numeric identification within some of our systems and may be used for search purposes.