Become a Substitute Teacher
Listed below is the process for becoming a Broward County Substitute teacher:
- Apply for a Substitute Orientation, complete an on-line application and upload required documents (see “Get Started” below).
- Your file will be reviewed and an email will be sent indicating your file status:
- Complete - includes instructions on obtaining fingerprints and the link to download the employment documents
- Incomplete - includes a list of the missing items. You must upload the missing documents to proceed.
- Follow email directions to be fingerprinted and complete the employment documents.
- Fingerprint clearance is verified and an email is sent with orientation instructions and employment papers.
- Candidate attends mandatory orientation and MUST bring:
- Official transcripts (Former SBBC Instructional employees see notes below)
- Original & Copy of Social Security Card
- Original & Copy of Photo ID (Current Driver's License, Passport, etc.)
- Current Resident Alien Card or Work Permit (if applicable)
- Voided Check. (You will be required to sign up for direct deposit)
- Print Subsitute Teacher Handbook
NOTE:To remain employed, each substitute is required work a minimum of 90 hours per school year. Substitutes that begin after January 1, will automatically be rolled over to the following year and will not need to meet the minimum work requirement during their first year.
|Upcoming Substitute Orientations|
|Each scheduled orientation has a maximum capacity and will close when filled|
Steps to becoming a Substitute Teacher
1. Gather documents required to complete online application
- Transcripts from an accredited college showing at least 60 semester hours of completed course work that will be uploaded when you complete the on-line application. Transcripts must be legible and the name of the university must be displayed. You must bring your official transcripts to your orientation.
(NOTE: Former SBBC Instructional employees do not need upload or bring their official transcripts to the orientation. Former SBBC instructional employees must upload a document under transcript section that states “Transcripts on file” click here for a pdf document that you can save and upload to the transcript section.)Two (2) letters of references References must be from those supervisors that you have listed in the Work Experience Section. One reference must be from your last employer. If you are an experienced teacher, a reference from your last principal must be submitted. If you are a recent education graduate, a reference from your cooperating teacher is required. Each reference should be scanned separately and uploaded to your application. If you have limited or no previous work experience, personal references will be accepted.
- Payment Registration Receipt for the Substitute Teacher Training On-Boarding Course.
- The mandatory Broward County Public Schools Substitute Teacher Training On-Boarding Course is required for ALL candidates, regardless of teaching/substitute experience, to become a Broward County substitute teacher. This course will provide you with valuable knowledge, skills, and materials that will empower you to be successful in the classroom.
- There is a cost associated with this training of $40.00, and will be the responsibility of the applicant. Payment must be made online by credit card. This cost will not be reimbursed by Broward County Public Schools.
- The training is a full-day (8:30 am – 4:00 pm), in-person training that includes: Expectations of a Substitute, Ethics, Effective Teaching Behaviors, Classroom Management and Teaching Strategies
- To register and obtain receipt to upload to your application. Click here
2. Go to Applitrack for online application; under “Vacancies" (left side) select:Click Here --->
- “A Substitute Teacher Training On-Boarding Course” for the date you want to attend
- You will be prompted to complete your application and upload all required documents. Click here to see a visual description of how to select the Sub Course. NOTE: Classes fill up quickly, in order to attend the class, all required documents must be uploaded in a timely manner. Candidates that have not uploaded required documents will not be scheduled.
- After your file is reviewed, you will receive an email with next steps indicating the status of your application.
- When you attend the training course, you are required to bring your Social Security Card** and official transcripts (Former SBBC Instructional employees see note above) . If you do not have a social security card in your possession, it is recommended that you apply for a new card to be issued. This process can take up to 3 weeks.
Per Florida Statute 119.071(5), this is to notify you of the purpose for collecting and utilizing your Social Security Number. Providing your Social Security Number is a condition of employment at Broward County Public Schools. To protect your identification, Broward County Public Schools will secure your Social Security Number from unauthorized access, and strictly prohibit the release of your Social Security Number to unauthorized parties contrary to state and federal law.
Social Security numbers are collected for legitimate business purposes during the recruitment, selection and hiring process with Broward County Public Schools. Your Social Security Number will be used for completing and processing the following actions: Employment application for determining certification eligibility [1012.56 F.S.], Completion of federal I-9 form for the filing and issuance of federal employment forms [8 USC 1324a(b)], Completion of federal W-4 form for filing and issuance of federal employment forms [8 USC 1324a(b)], Florida Retirement Contribution Report [119.07(5)(a)6.b], and Conducting criminal background screening [1012.56 F.S.]. Your Social Security Number may be used as a unique numeric identification within some of our systems and may be used for search purposes.