Become a Substitute Teacher
Listed below is the process for becoming a Broward County Substitute teacher:
- Apply for a Substitute Orientation, complete an on-line application and upload required documents (see “Get Started” below).
- Your file will be reviewed and an email will be sent indicating your file status:
- Complete - includes instructions on obtaining fingerprints.
- Incomplete - includes a list of the missing items. You must upload the missing documents to proceed.
- Candidate gets fingerprinted.
- Fingerprint clearance is verified and an email is sent with orientation instructions and employment papers.
- Candidate attends mandatory orientation and MUST bring:
- Official transcripts
- Original & Copy of Social Security Card
- Original & Copy of Photo ID (Current Driver's License, Passport, etc.)
- Current Resident Alien Card or Work Permit (if applicable)
- Voided Check. (You will be required to sign up for direct deposit)
|Upcoming Substitute Orientations||Application Deadline Date|
In process currently be scheduled check back on 10/3/16 for next orientations dates.
|Each scheduled orientation has a maximum capacity and will close when filled at least 10 days prior to the event.|
Steps to becoming a Substitute Teacher
- Complete the Substitute Teacher Training (not required for retired teachers, certified teachers, and education majors). At the conclusion, you will receive a Substitute Teacher Training Certificate of Completion that you will upload when you complete your application.(This is a separate document from the Substitute Teacher Certificate).
- The Substitute Teacher Training may be completed at one of the following institutes. There is a fee.
- Face-to-face training is available at Broward College http://www.broward.edu/academics/ce/Pages/Teacher-Education.aspx
- Online training is available at Ed Training – Introduction to Teaching for Substitute Teacher http://www.edtrainingcenter.com
- If you have limited or no previous work experience, personal references will be accepted.
- “Request to attend a Substitute orientation” for the date you want to attend
- You will be prompted to complete your application and upload all required documents. Click here to see a visual description of the process. NOTE: All documentation must be uploaded at least 10 days prior to the orientation date you select.
Per Florida Statute 119.071(5), this is to notify you of the purpose for collecting and utilizing your Social Security Number. Providing your Social Security Number is a condition of employment at Broward County Public Schools. To protect your identification, Broward County Public Schools will secure your Social Security Number from unauthorized access, and strictly prohibit the release of your Social Security Number to unauthorized parties contrary to state and federal law.
Social Security numbers are collected for legitimate business purposes during the recruitment, selection and hiring process with Broward County Public Schools. Your Social Security Number will be used for completing and processing the following actions: Employment application for determining certification eligibility [1012.56 F.S.], Completion of federal I-9 form for the filing and issuance of federal employment forms [8 USC 1324a(b)], Completion of federal W-4 form for filing and issuance of federal employment forms [8 USC 1324a(b)], Florida Retirement Contribution Report [119.07(5)(a)6.b], and Conducting criminal background screening [1012.56 F.S.]. Your Social Security Number may be used as a unique numeric identification within some of our systems and may be used for search purposes.