The Privacy Officer provides guidance and assistance in the District’s compliance with privacy laws, including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Primary activities include:
- Collaborating with key stakeholders to ensure the District has and maintains the appropriate privacy agreements, forms and notices and these documents reflect current organization and legal practices and requirements.
- Writing and updating privacy policies and procedures.
- Providing privacy training to staff, including employees in the Benefits Department, where HIPAA information is frequently used.
- Conducting periodic security reviews and ongoing compliance monitoring activities.
- Overseeing a privacy complaint process.
- Working collaboratively with other departments (including Broward District Schools Police) in investigations pertaining to privacy matters.