CAMPUS LOCKDOWN PROCEDURES
In case of campus unrest or disturbance, the following procedures will be implemented to insure the protection of students and personnel and to maintain control of the physical plant:
- The announcement “The bells are not working. Teachers, please keep all students in the classroom” will be made over the public address system.
- The code “All units 86” will be made to security and administrative personnel.
- Teachers are to lock their classroom doors and keep all students in class.
- The office manager will turn off the automatic bell system.
- The principal will notify the school’s resource officer, Special Investigative Unit, area superintendent, and superintendent.
- The Special Investigative Unit will respond immediately and establish communications with the principal and school’s resource officer.
- The school’s resource officer will establish communication with the Sunrise Police Department.
- Telephone lines will be kept open and manned by the main office secretaries. Outgoing calls will be strictly supervised.
- Administrators will report immediately to the main office and assign available teachers to specific areas or duties.
- A room located near the scene of the disturbance will be made available to hold all disruptive students.
- Information will be reported to the building level administrator, who will relay the information to the principal.
- Teachers will avoid any physical involvement except for self protection or protection of students.
- Teachers will remain calm, make every effort to remember names or faces of students involved, and discourage students from joining the disruptive activity.
- Dismissal of students, if necessary, will be by building areas. Administrators, police, security specialists, and teachers are to supervise the safe dismissal of students.
- Special transportation plans will be implemented if necessary.
- Assistant principals will establish a method for prompt parent contact.
- Cameras (video and still), the public address system, bullhorns, and tape recorders will be used for the purpose of student control and identification.
FIRE AND EMERGENCY EVACUATION PROCEDURES
A fire and emergency alarm procedure for the evacuation of the school building has been established to ensure the safety of all students and personnel. Teachers are expected to:
Learn the location of the alarm station nearest the classroom.
Identify the fire and emergency ring signal.
Learn the escape route from the classroom to the designated safety zone and discuss the evacuation route with all classes.
Display a map with the evacuation route identified near the classroom exit.R
Respond quickly to every alarm. Unassigned teachers should proceed to the nearest hallway to supervise the evacuation.
Supervise orderly classroom exits.
Take the rollbook to the evacuation site, take roll, and notify the nearest administrator of any missing students.
Keep driveways clear for the arrival of emergency vehicles.
Supervise orderly classroom exits
Return to the building at the “all-clear” signal and check roll to verify the attendance of all students.