Education Support Professionals (Paraprofessionals)
Broward County Public Schools requires all Paraprofessionals be "Highly Qualified". Paraprofessionals are part of the Education Support Professional (ESP) unit. Paraprofessionals are the Teacher Assistants and Classroom Assistants that provide support to teachers in the classroom and one-on-one assistance to children with special needs. The goals of a paraprofessional is as follows:
- Providing the highest quality care and supervision to students of the Broward County School System by providing classroom support to enhance the instructional process.
- Participating in a vital role in the instructional process of an individualized program of education.
- Providing bilingual instructional assistance in the class room by assisting in a variety of activities including the preparation of instructional materials, presenting classroom instruction, performing various clerical duties, and assisting and supervising the actions of students to enrich the delivery of education to students.
Highly Qualified Definition (2 options):
- Classroom Assistant: Standard High school diploma/GED AND passing score on the ParaPro test (457).
- Teacher Assistant: Standard High school diploma/GED, passing score on the ParaPro test (457) AND Teacher Assisting Curriculum from a designated technical college in the Broward County School District, see info at McFatter Technical College.
- An official transcript from an accredited college/university reflecting a minimum of 60 credit hours, or an Associate’s degree or higher conferred.
The ParaPro assessment test is only required if you do not have at least 60 college credits hours or a degree conferred.
For additional information regarding the ParaPro Assessment test, visit: www.ets.org
Click here to view registration information regarding the ParaPro Assessment Test.
Online application for Paraprofessionals coming soon....
- How to Write a Resume
- Interview Techniques
- Non-Instructional Resources
- Information on obtaining a General Education Diploma (GED) or registering for GED Preparation course, please visit:
Foreign Educated Applicants
Applicants with academic training and degrees granted outside the United States MUST submit a credential evaluation report that includes a statement of degree equivalency and a breakdown of the coursework and semester hour credits. Any academic training, diploma, or degree granted from Puerto Rico must be translated to English. An accredited two or four year college or university in the U.S., or a credential evaluation agency can provide this report. A list of approved agencies is found here.
All materials submitted become the property of the Talent Acquisition & Operations Department, will not be returned to the applicant, and are subject to the Florida Sunshine Statutes.
Per Florida Statute 119.071(5), this is to notify you of the purpose for collecting and utilizing your Social Security Number. Providing your Social Security Number is a condition of employment at Broward County Public Schools. To protect your identification, Broward County Public Schools will secure your Social Security Number from unauthorized access, and strictly prohibit the release of your Social Security Number to unauthorized parties contrary to state and federal law.
Social Security numbers are collected for legitimate business purposes during the recruitment, selection and hiring process with Broward County Public Schools. Your Social Security Number will be used for completing and processing the following actions: Employment application for determining certification eligibility [1012.56 F.S.], Completion of federal I-9 form for the filing and issuance of federal employment forms [8 USC 1324a(b)], Completion of federal W-4 form for filing and issuance of federal employment forms [8 USC 1324a(b)], Florida Retirement Contribution Report [119.07(5)(a)6.b], and Conducting criminal background screening [1012.56 F.S.]. Your Social Security Number may be used as a unique numeric identification within some of our systems and may be used for search purposes.